Client Story: The York Theater Company
The Numad Group works with The York Theater Company today because of musical theater legend, Tony Award-winner, and Kennedy Center-honoree Barbara Cook. Let us explain.
In 2011, The York—an off-Broadway nonprofit that is the birthplace for new literate, intimate musicals, and a place where underappreciated musical gems from the past are rediscovered--called on Numad Ted to design a gala invitation for the 20th Annual Oscar Hammerstein Awards and Gala, which was to honor Barbara Cook. It was supported to be a quick job—here's the content, here's what we would like it to look like, and here's the printer we want you to work with.
We've been working with them ever since.
For four season, The Numad Group has partnered with The York, under the artistic direction of Jim Morgan (a fellow University Florida graduate—Ted's graduate school alma mater), on the graphic design of the company's marketing materials for their mainstage musicals, educational programs, fundraising programs, and more. This has included design for:
- The celebrated, long-running revival of Richard Maltby and David Shire's Closer Than Ever, one of the most successful productions in the York's long history;
- Productions of Ionescopade, Storyville, The Holiday Guys, I'm a Stranger Here Myself, Love Linda, Inventing Mary Martin, Texas in Paris, Cagney, and more;
- Concert performances of their notable Musicals in Mufti series;
- The annual Oscar Hammerstein Awards, which have honored legends like Barbara Cook, Alan Menken, Stephen Flaherty, Lynn Ahrens, and this year, Angela Lansbury; and,
- Re-branding of the organization's visual identity.
Our long history with the good people at The York has been fun and rewarding, and for Numad Ted, it has been particularly fun to be star-struck on numerous occasions by some of the musical theater legends he has gotten to meet, and sometimes, even sit next too.