This week, Numads Matt and Kelly have been spending time in Anchorage, Alaska and the surrounding region for a project we are working on, and earlier today Kelly forwarded on these 10 universal Alaska Native values she discovered on the Alaska Native Heritage Center website, in advance of a meeting at the center.
They're beautiful. Poignant. And meaningful.
- SHOW RESPECT TO OTHERS. Each person has a special gift.
- SHARE WHAT YOU HAVE. Giving makes you richer.
- KNOW WHO YOU ARE. You are a reflection on your family.
- ACCEPT WHAT LIFE BRINGS. You cannot control many things.
- HAVE PATIENCE. Some things cannot be rushed.
- LIVE CAREFULLY. What you do will come back to you.
- TAKE CARE OF OTHERS. You cannot live without them.
- HONOR YOUR ELDERS. They show you the way in life.
- PRAY FOR GUIDANCE. Many things are not known.
- SEE CONNECTIONS. All things are related.
Here's the thing: I think we can all get caught up in the wonderfulness and craziness and hecticness and busyness of life that we forget to pause and reflect, and perhaps even live, these universal values. So today, we invite you to reflect on these values that have been part of the Alaska Native people forever, and consider how you already do--or might start--living them.